Sunday 8 February 2009

It's been a while...

since I talked about poppies. Making these poppy bowls has been a bit of an obsession for me. One of the nicest things about them is that although I am the maker, and I have made more than a few of them, it is impossible to make two the same...



Each one is a pinch pot, and this basically means that I get a small piece of clay, roll it into a ball, and then gently manipulate it out into a poppy shape. It grows of its own accord, and although I can control the clay to an extent, I can't ever make two the same. In addition, the glaze that has to be applied later is controlled by the exact thickness of the clay, so that too is infinitely variable. Now whilst that may make them more difficult to list on a shop (as each must be individually photographed) it does give me a magical pottery buzz when I open my kiln, because no matter how many I make, even I can't predict exactly how they're going to look when they come out. Now this is great for individuality and great for the people who buy them knowing that theirs is truly unique, but sadly less great when someone asks me for three stacking ones exactly like the ones in the picture on the right... If you're reading this - sorry, I haven't forgotten, but it's going to take time!

No comments: