Monday 26 October 2009

I bought these...


because they are beautiful. I am fairly indifferent to the flavour of the ones we get in this country. Pretty bland really. Good baked with something sweet and alcoholic and served with something creamy. Vanilla icecream or clotted cream. I digress... Bland they may be to taste, but not to look at. The colour of a nasty bruise. Except beautiful.
I thought I would try picturing them with my new colander... I am very easily distracted at the moment I have noticed. I know that I should have made the colander the centre of focus of the shot... How will I sell it if I focus on the figs?! After all, I'm not a green grocer. Which is just as well as I think I'd probably just sit there all day gazing at how pretty it all was whilst the fruit rotted.
The figs are no more. I didn't want to eat them because they were better than flowers to look at, but in the end it had to be done. Cut in half they were more beautiful again. I had kept them in the fruit bowl with some pomegranites for a few days, next to a great big pumpkin, and every time I looked at them the colours were just amazing. Autumn in a bowl. Aubergine and purple black from the smooth soft skins of the figs, and flaming oranges and reds from the waxy skins of the pomegranites with little black marks to make them look like they are on fire... It made me feel like I was living in a Peale still life.
A colander or a fruit bowl can look good. It can look beautiful. But no matter what it looks like, who made it, or what they made it from, it can never compete with the fruit that it will hold.

2 comments:

Grammatically Delicious Designs said...

Not a huge fan of figs, but your look great! Drop over to my blog and take a look at the flock. It is finally up. FINALLY. And send your address to danielle.mickelson@sendit.nodak.edu . I have your treats ready to go.

missed you

danielle

Visual Vamp said...

Love what you're doing!

Did you vote for me today?! It's really close and I could use your help. There's only a couple of hours left to vote. Thanks! xo xo

http://contests.apartmenttherapy.com/2009/color/main/faceoff/56